During the two years our family spent at Christian Heritage Elementary, we grew substantially in our understanding of the doctrines that divide our church from the rest of Christianity. While there are doctrines that unite all Christian churches, the doctrine of Christ was spun into hundreds of different directions after His death. Studying these doctrines and the teachings of our modern day prophets has strengthened my testimony of the divine restoration. Historically speaking, it makes sense! During my lesson I encouraged the sisters in our Relief Society to strengthen and expand their knowledge of the history of Christ's church and then to pray and solidify their testimony of the restoration.What started out as a hand-out for the ladies who serve in Primary and Young Womens' as well as the ladies who were unable to attend their meeting on Sunday turned into a letter. A letter feels so much more personal than a handout, almost too personal, nevertheless, it's what felt right, and hopefully the message the Lord wanted the women to hear was passed along to all of them. For the record, It's pasted below. If there is one theme that stood out in this Sunday's lesson it's that we each need to do our part to move the work forward to prepare the world for Christ's second coming. I hope we can each do our part to testify of the magnificance that is HERE, right now, on the earth. I hope that somehow, the knowledge that God still speaks to man, that the Heavens are still open, and that HIS church is here, again, will reach those who are seeking light.
Dear Sisters, Third-Sunday Lesson
In this crazy day and age I often wonder how to keep up with all of the demands that a normal day requires. I know that you feel the same way! This week the lesson for Relief Society is about “The Restoration of All Things: The Dispensation of the Fullness of Times” on page 507 in the Joseph Smith Manual. It has been pretty amazing to study about the restoration of all things, it’s been a little overwhelming also! Along with all of the magnificent events and blessings that we are privileged to witness, comes GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. More responsibility, in fact, than I am comfortable with. That said, I have a testimony of something Joseph Smith said in the lesson. He said, “ Every man (or woman) who has a calling (all of us) to minister to the inhabitants of the world was ordained to that very purpose in the Grand Council of heaven before the world was.” Each one of us has a calling; as a daughter, sister, mother, friend, visiting teacher – or any other ‘official’ calling in the church. How on earth (haha) are we supposed to do it all? That, dear sisters, is the million dollar question, and the answer is free. It begins by getting on our knees each morning and praying to our Father in Heaven and telling him that we can’t do it alone! That is sooo opposite of everything that the world tells us about being a woman. I WISH that I had listened to this years ago. I’ve worn myself out trying to be everything to everybody and do it all by myself! I can’t do it anymore! I can’t give “complete, unselfish dedication” or “hearty cooperation” by myself! Sometimes I don’t want to be dedicated! If I were to do what Joseph Smith says and “lay aside every selfish principle, every low and groveling; and stand forward in the cause of truth, and assist to the utmost of their power” I’m sure I would make it to the Celestial Kingdom; but to tell you the truth, after a long day of taking care of kids and husband and friends and dog and home and calling…even the Telestial Kingdom sounds like paradise! What is a woman to do?
We have to ask for the help that we think we don’t need. Sometimes we even have to ask for the desire to ask for help ; that kind of prayer would go something like this – ‘Dear Father, I really don’t want to want do my VT (or whatever else) please just help me WANT to do it.’
I finally understand that the Savior’s Atonement covers WAY more than just REPENTANCE. When the Savior suffered in Gethsemane he felt not only sorrow for my sins but also the stress and worry and hurt and guilt that I feel on a daily basis. He FELT the stress and worry, and we have been asked to let Him feel those things. HE will give us what we are lacking and at the same time will take our burdens, whatever they may be. THAT is how we do it – WE don’t do it, we hand it to HIM, trust HIM, we turn to HIM – for everything. Even if it seems like it would be UN-important to GOD, like ‘what to make for dinner’, it’s not. This is what I’ve been discovering lately. They are the things that make participating in the promises contained in this lesson seem attainable. I promise YOU that if you take the time to GIVE your burdens or stresses or worries to the Savior (in your prayer to the Father) it will be possible to be a diligent, active participant in this FINAL Dispensation.
The lesson this week is worth the 20 minutes it would take to read it! My challenge to each of you (and me) is to try and strengthen our testimonies or the Restoration this month. Please join me in reading the following talks and praying for a testimony of the teachings contained therein. Through doing this I promise that your testimony of the Restoration will be strengthened and your awareness of the magnificence of the Latter-days will increase. Your days will go smoother, your challenges will seem smaller and, who knows, you may even enjoy your visiting teaching! (j/k)Sister Jensen
Jeffrey R. Holland, “Safety for the Soul,” Ensign, Nov 2009, 88–90
Jeffrey R. Holland, “The Ministry of Angels,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 29–31
Jeffrey R. Holland, “‘My Words … Never Cease’,” Ensign, May 2008, 91–94
Jeffrey R. Holland, “The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom He Hath Sent,” Ensign, Nov 2007, 40–42


No comments:
Post a Comment