![]() |
| Lily Eva Jensen!! Abt. 2 months ago. |
*********
A quick 'google' search could easily take you to a dozen medical websites with pretty much the same list of symptoms. Beginning with the most commonly recognized and prominent traits - Excessive thirst and increased urination.This symptom showed up in Lily around 2 weeks before we finally took her into the doctor, but to say that our first thought was diabetes would be FaR, fAr from the truth! (unfortunately:( ) But, like most parents, any symptom or problem is usually addressed through the process of elimination. In Lily's case, around the time of March 24th Lily began asking for more and more water. We had a conversation about gulping, which just seems funny, looking back at it. She was gulping her water and I taught her about swallowing air and how that could give her a tummy ache. Also, we discussed Princess Manners, and gulping water or slurping soup certainly didn't fit the bill!
Over the next several days Lily had 3 or 4 instances where she wet the bed. This was surprising to all of us since she had never had an accident and had been potty trained for years! When I asked Lily what happened she said she didn't know, "Mommy, my body didn't even TELL me to go potty, but I woke up and my bed was wet :( ". As parents, we looked at these incidents and saw two possible causes. First, she was obviously drinking too much water at bedtime. "Sigh! these kids... " we thought, "will they NEVER stop finding excuses to get out of bed?!!!" Second, the toilet right next to the kids rooms was out of order. I wondered if the journey down the hallway and into Mom and Dad's room was a bit intimidating for a four year old.
To solve these two problems we first drew a limit to how much water she could take to her nightstand - ONE 16 oz. cup should be plenty for anyone, we said. (Of course, NOW, I feel horribly guilty for restricting her water. I could almost cry!) Secondly we put a nightlight in the hallway, made sure the books from bedtime reading were picked up off the floor, and left a light on in our bathroom so that she could easily see the pathway. Ugh! Guilt!!! But, at the time, the problem seemed obvious and our solutions worked. No more accidents, though she asked for water immediately after she woke up and all throughout the day.
Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back it seems so clear! But two+ weeks ago this tell-tale symptom of Type 1 Diabetes seemed to have both obvious origins and easy solutions. If Lily had been an only child, these night-time wetting occurences, as well as the onset of the symptoms would have surely stood out - maybe even being alarming. However, Lily is one of FOUR kids - which makes for a very busy household. Her younger brother was diagnosed with food allergies to milk, peanuts, and eggs six months ago also. Needless to say, it took some time for her symptoms to become well defined pieces of her diagnostic puzzle.
Part 1 ? I know, I know! Why on earth can't I find the time to type out an entire book about the past three weeks? Or maybe the question is why would it even take a book? Lol! Well, I'm a writer, a reader, and a talker - so put those three things together via blog and what you get is my thoughts written out for you (and in the future, Lily) to read! More time? Well, for now - I have about 5 minutes to hop in the shower before Lily's next blood check and lunch. Thinking I should seize the moment, sniff, sniff.... ;)
| Happy 4th Birthday 6/9/10 |
| Blankie # 2 via Grandma Susan's Magic Blankie Machine! |
**A few minutes ago Lily and Luke were getting ready to go out front and play in the sunshine with their Daddy. I asked Lily how she was feeling, and she said "Fine....but I still have diabetes huh Mom?" I smiled and said "yes honey, you will always have diabetes, for the rest of your life." to which she said "Unless we find the cure! Mommy, maybe if I eat 100 bananas that will work for the cure! What do you think?!!!!!" I think.......BRING IT!!!! Oh yeah! We will find a cure, you betcha!!

8 comments:
Thinking about you lots! Love you tons! I don't know what else to say.
I can see how the sypmtoms can be missed. One of my twins has had those symptoms for years, minus the weight-loss. I worried about diabetes and took her in, but she's just a thirsty gal.
My heart goes out to you and your family. I sure hope there is a cure for diabetes one day!
Thank you for keep us up dated. I will keep all of you in my prays.
Nicole, don't feel guilty, been there done that, doesn't make you feel any better. You were doing what you thought you needed to do at the time. Just remember there is nothing you could have done to have caused this or could have done to have prevented it. Your story is so much like mine; the only difference is you had people who recognized the symptoms and alerted you.
WE WILL FIND A CURE!!! They are getting closer every day!
Love reading your blog!
Lily is such a sweet girl! Normally, when she comes into my house, like she did yesterday, I would offer her an apple or whatever the other kids are snacking on. I did not dare mess with her diet yesterday, so I had to say, "sorry, no snacks today." Are there safe snacks that won't mess with her afternoon schedule?...I don't want to complicate things for her. -Love Jeanette
Hi there! I came across your blog through Shay's blog Life As They Know It/The Sweetest Thing. In her "blogs I read" box, the titles of the latest posts are captioned under the title of the blog.
"Diabetes" caught my attention, because my 'husband' is type 1, so I fear that our daughter will be too. I'm constantly online researching.
I look forward to reading your next posts on diabetes & checking out the rest of your blog as well :)
Would it be okay to add a link to your blog from mine?
Jeanette- "Free Snacks" would include cheese sticks, or sugar-free popsicles, diet soda or anything LESS than about 15 grams of carbs. Just call me if that happens again...not that I'm letting her out of my sight at the moment :)
Justine - totally okay! Finding other people w/ Type 1 is the best, so I'm glad you found me!
Love to you all!!
Is there a certain organization I can donate to? I want to do a run and do a fundraiser.
Staci
Post a Comment