When your 4 year old tells you that she can't do something you're asking because she's "too shaky" - take that as a very bad sign.
 |
Little hands so soft and sweet.
Stop poking them!! |
Lily hit her all-time low about 45 minuets ago. 31 is a no-good-very-bad-number for diabetics, or anyone for that matter. The ironic thing is that this past week we went to her appointment and were instructed on how and when to give her a 'mini-glucogen' shot. Glucogen is what your liver dumps into your blood-stream when your in danger of, well, dying for lack of energy.
 |
| Princess's DON'T need SHOTS! |
She's been resisting her shots more the past couple of weeks. It's horrible! As a Mom, All I want to do is protect my babies and give them what they need to be healthy and happy. Quite frankly, when a parent uses the term, "it's for your own good", or "this is harder for me than it is for you", most people chuckle and think about how many time their parents said that and, "gasp!!!, I can't believe I just said what I SWORE I would never say to my kids!!" So as I get her shots ready I FEEL myself saying what I used to just hear my parents say. And my words come out more like "
Please honey! I'm sorry!! I
KNOW it hurts, but we just have to be brave."
 |
Don't be fooled by the age of our children.
They are young, but they are WISE.
AND, they learn (remember) quickly. |
Sometimes when she asks the question, "Mommy, WHY haven't they found a cure yet?!?" I am able and prompted to seize the moment and to teach her the gospel principles behind our mortality. I tell her about the cure that will come when she's resurrected, and given a perfectly perfect body, that NEVER gets sick. But mostly, I just tell her that I don't know why because Mommy can't see eternity. Then I tell her that I love our Heavenly Father SOOO much, and that HE loves her even more than that, and that this trial is her test to show her Heavenly Father how brave she can be.
I've been so blessed, countless times, to feel the words given to me to be able to explain to my children at the youngest of ages, the most beautiful and profound principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. To tell a four year old that Type 1 diabetes is part of her test in this life may trip us up as adults. We stop ourselves and think that this child is too young to understand such abstract principles. but that is where the mistake is made. Because the principles are not abstract at all, in fact, they are quite the opposite, they are what lies at the very center of our existence. 'God's plan of Happiness', or 'The Plan of Salvation' is the glue that formed our beings into something strong enough to place faith in an older brother (Jesus Christ) and then to take that leap of faith into the darkness of this world. Because we KNEW that we could get home again.
 |
"Jesus KNOWS that those shots hurt honey.
He will help you be brave." |
So, when a teaching moment comes - and they will come as often as we are ready for them - we can explain, "with the tongue of angels" that the reason this little girl is getting shots many times a day is because she wanted the chance to show her Heavenly Father how brave she could be, and also how much faith she could have. Knowing most four year olds, that teaching moment will most likely last as long as the questions flow. In my case, it came when Lily asked what faith meant. "You can have faith honey when you choose to believe that Jesus KNOWS what it feels like to have lots of shots. And when you choose to close your eyes and take his hand and let him help you be brave. Because he can, and he will!"
 |
| Pray Always |
Don't be fooled by the fact that the end of this conversation was the last sentence above. "Careful the things you say.....children will listen..." are the words in a much loved broadway musical. They listen when the spirit of God is present.......why else would it be so hard to be patient as a parent? We all know what happens when Mom or Dad, or Grandma, Grandpa, etc. loose their patience - the teaching Spirit flies away and little devils come to play. Ooooooo! I surely, DOn't like those mean little guys. Do you?
When have you had the chance to teach a VeRy young child a gospel principle that one might initially think is over their heads? Please share!
5 comments:
Ahh, I don't even know what to say, except someone is reading and being inspired! Me.
You are right about using those teaching moments. You are right about Heavenly Father testing her to see how wonderfully brave she can be. You are right about how funny and comical the words "this hurts me more than it hurts you" can be until applied to situations like yours and Lily's.
My little Jack had surgery last week and I can just really, truly feel your feelings... So thank you for writing them down! Hugs to sweet little Lily, who is having to learn so many hard things right now. And hugs to you, for the strength to help teach them. I think you are living this new challenge in a brave, wise and tender way.
Christy W
Oh, Christy. YOU have been an inspiration to me ever since you were pregnant with Jack and I heard about your brave decision to let the doctors do surgery en-utero. Do you have a blog about your journey with him that is public? If so, could I please post it to my "You Inspire Me" page?
Thanks for your encouraging comments. They help so much. ~N.
Hi Nicole, I went to the page but can't figure out to post to it. I never claim to be a computer genius... lol! I would love to post the link to my blog. It is public, and about the whole family, my hobbies, photos, but has plenty in there about Jack too.
Hugs,
Christy
You're up Christy! Now....I'll just say. The skirts that you made for E. are a-m-a-z-i-n-g-!
you make me want to be a better mother. and believe me.....there is A LOT of room for improvement. i read your blog am amazed by the things you do, how you make every second a teaching moment, and how udderly strong you are. i love and miss you dearly!
bree
Post a Comment