Tuesday, January 5

Teach Them to Walk, Talk, Pray and TYPE.

In this day and age knowing how to type is a skill of necessity that ranks up there with reading, writing, good manners, and kindness. In the school system our kids are introduced to the computer in kindergarten and for the most part those kids have been on the computer in their homes and/or preschools before even then. Our kids are taught to navigate websites and word-processing programs and before you know it they are expected to turn in a typed report. Unfortunately, during my research on the internet I've discovered that many schools have removed touch typing (typing w/o looking) from their computer curriculum. Chalk it up to one more stressed educational budget - this is one skill that I don't want my kids to miss out on. (though our school does teach touch- typing)
I don't know about you but watching my kids just play on the computer is irritating. I'm a much happier Mom if I know that they are learning something in the process. For this reason we only allow computer time if it's educational in some way. 
 Not to long ago I started looking around for a touch-typing program that our kids could learn at home and I discovered that the choices are endless. I downloaded a free-trial for one called Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor that we never ended up using. I knew this was a skill that our kids could learn and watching my oldest spend 30 minutes to type 2 sentences onto her blog was enough to keep me looking.

In the end I found a free program from a trusted web-site that my oldest finds both entertaining and easy to navigate. It has reinforced the typing skills she learned in kindergarten and first grade and has helped make her second grade computer time almost like a review. Since typing is one of those skills that you can improve on almost indefinitely I'm not too worried about her being bored during computer lab in the near future :) !

The home page for the BBC's Dance Mat Typing Teacher is found HERE !





Are images of children typing their own papers dancing through your head too? Sigh. Smile.

2 comments:

cellosara said...

I agree about this typing thing. It was a required course when I was in the 8th grade. You couldn't advance if you didn't take it. Then I moved and had to take it again in the 10th grade. Those were the days. Sometimes, I take delight in knowing I can type things without seeing my hands and my hubby can't. The result is I make far fewer grammatical errors and he's always backspacing. Thanks for the link. I think I will give it a try when dd1 is a bit more responsible.

Liz said...

Nicole! I LOVE your new blog and I LOVE this suggestion! I have really been struggling with this whole typing thing and my kids not knowing the first thing when it comes to HOW to type! It drives me crazy when they pluck out letter by letter the things they want to type, when I know they should be learning HOW to type! Thank you for the resource... I can't wait to have them use it! :)

Followers